The Alternative Economies subgroup of OWS Arts and Labor explores new methods of sustaining the livelihood of artists, art-workers, and other low-income populations. We view the concept of labor through the lenses of time, choice, and value, and we research the ways that ideas like the commons, solidarity economies, precarious worker centers, and participatory budgeting can nurture more sustainable art worlds. Believing that vibrant creative communities come from the bottom up, we encourage relationships based on mutual aid rather than competition, and we advocate for cultural institutions rooted in a framework of social, economic, and environmental justice.
Last Sundays of every month.
NEXT MEETING–> Sunday May 26th 11am-2pm
L Train to Bedford/G Train to Manhattan
• Distributing ”What Do We Do Now?“ Resource guide at various locations with various partners.
• Continue workshop on Alternative Economies
• Discussing/workshop(ing) Alternative Economies Projects
• Another Art World Is Possible - Alternative Economies Workshop, Saturday May 11th at NURTUREart . Facebook invite here.
• What Do We Do Now? booklet launch w/Making Worlds, March 29-30, 2013
• Alternative Economies with Haben und Brauchen in Berlin, June 12, 2012
• Occupy The Land! w/NYC Community Gardens Coalition June 1-3, 2012
• Alternative Economies Teach-In: Occupy, Resist, Produce, Feb 19, 2012
• Alternative Economies Teach-In: Seeing, Naming, Connecting, Strengthening, and Creating, March 4, 2012
• We have completed “What Do We Do Now?” a pdf resource list for access to affordable housing, healthcare, banking, childcare, etc. It is a living document that will grow over time.
• Members/Volunteer Emailing list. Currently we have a email list for volunteers and members. Come to one of our meetings and let us know that you’d like to be added. Or email us (email above)